December 1, 2019
Welcome Back and hello December! Believe it or not, we only have 3 weeks of school before the holiday break and the new year! So let’s make it a December to Remember!
There is a lot of BOE activity happening this month including further discussion and a vote on redistricting options, School Start Time discussion, and the search for our new Superintendent. Please try to stay informed by reading our emails, attending BOE meetings, and attending our KHS PTA General Meeting this Tuesday. Our goal is to keep you informed, so you are aware of what is happening in our district and can form your own opinion/position on topics that are important to you and your family.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK…
“I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.” – Pablo Picasso
THANK YOU TO OUR MANY KHS VOLUNTEERS
- Thank you to Deanne McGuinn and Alison Reilly for all their time and work spent collecting, washing, folding and delivering clothes to Roosevelt Elementary in Bridgeport Connecticut, where our very own Ms. Massey‘s mother works.
CHEETAH’S CHECKLIST ✅
- Attend the KHS General PTA Meeting this Tuesday at 7:00PM at the Westport Library. Children are welcome….always!
- Shop the KHS Holiday fundraisers; see below.
No KHS family will be denied the opportunity to participate or acquire any of the above due to an inability to pay. Please contact principal Lou DiBella’s office at (203) 341-1800 for confidential financial assistance.
THIS WEEK AT KHS...
Wednesday, Dec. 4
BOE MEETING- Monday, December 2, 2019
- The next BOE meeting is on Monday at 7:30pm.CLICK HERE for the meeting agenda.
- As many of you are aware, in anticipation of the reopening of Coleytown Middle School in the fall of 2020, The Board of Education has been engaged in a process of evaluating redistricting options to address the imbalance between our middle school populations and to preserve our preferred middle school educational model amidst long-term declining enrollment.
- The administration has presented the Board with two options for consideration.
- One is to return to 5 teaching teams across two middle schools, with the rehiring of additional teaching staff.
- The other is to phase in a split feeder pattern over three years to balance enrollment at the middle schools and move to a four team model to adjust to enrollment. To date, our demographers have proposed Saugatuck Elementary School for the split feeder pattern.
- Here is the decision-making schedule:
- December 2 at 7:30 PM - Board of Education meeting where we will hear demographic projections from a second demographer and have a Board work session to discuss our options, public comment deferred to December 9 meeting.
- December 9 at 7:30 PM – Board of Education meeting exclusively to take public comment. This meeting will be held at Town Hall.
- December 16 at 7:30 PM – Board of Education meeting where we aim to vote on one or more resolutions related to this matter.
- We encourage you to stay connected and informed by attending the meeting. You can also watch the meeting on television (Optimum channel 78) or live-stream via computer on the district’s website (www.westportps.org).
- As always, you can send your questions, comments and concerns to:
- Board of Education: BOE@westportps.org
- Interim Superintendent David Abbey: email@example.com
- Board of Selectman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Board of Finance: email@example.com
- Representative Town Meeting (RTM): firstname.lastname@example.org
KHS PTA GENERAL MEETING- Tuesday, December 3, 2019 7:00PM
- Please join us this Tuesday, December 3rd from 7:00-8:45PM, at the Westport Library (Komansky Room) for our second general PTA Meeting. We will have a presentation from the School Start Time Committee followed by a Library Resources presentation, highlighting all the new features and resources of our town library.
- The School Start Time Committee is a BOE appointed committee that has been conducting research since 2017. They first presented to the BOE in October 2018 and recommended that no Westport K-12 school start before 8:00 am. They have recently reconvened and are working to present their specific recommendation to the BOE in December.
- This is an informational session for them to share their research and findings as well as answer your questions regarding school start times in Westport. If you cannot attend but have questions you would like answered, please submit them to email@example.com and we can pass them along to the Start Time Committee. Thanks!
- For your reference, below are links to background information on the committee, and the issue of school start times, and Sleep for Success’ FAQ page.
- WPS School Start Time Committee White Paper
- White Paper Appendix B, contains position statements from various organizations
- White Paper Appendix C, letter from pediatricians in Westport
- The National PTA's resolution on healthy sleep for adolescents
- Sleep for Success FAQs
KHS HOLIDAY FUNDRAISER
Order fabulous holiday gifts and cards from these three companies and support KHS!
- Boon Supply – Shop for chic teacher gifts, hostess gifts, bestie gifts and more at https://www.boonsupply.com/collections/605812-khs-pta-holiday-fundraiser and Boon will donate 40% of your purchase back to our PTA.
- Minted.com - Use code FUNDRAISEKINGSHWY to get 15% off all holiday card and gift purchases made by the end of December and Minted will donate 15% of your purchase to our PTA.
- Pinhole Press – Shop at https://pinholepress.com?fc=KHSPTA or enter code KHSPTA at checkout. Pinhole Press will donate 50% of all holiday card purchases made in November, and 25% on all holiday gifts purchased from 12/1-12/7 to our PTA.
SUPERINTENDENT SELECTION PROCESS; PUBLIC INPUT - Tuesday, December 10, 2019
- “Your Voice Matters – Selecting the Westport Superintendent of Schools." The Westport Board of Education will be hosting a second evening opportunity for community members to share their insight on the hiring of the next Superintendent of Schools.
- On Tuesday, December 10, Dr. Joseph Erardi, the search consultant working with the Westport Board of Education, will be facilitating a one-hour meeting dedicated to gathering community input for the superintendent’s hiring committee.
- The December 10th meeting will start at 7:00 p.m. and will be held in the library at Staples High School.
- Any resident needing additional information on the community conversation should contact Dr. Erardi at 571-480-0313.
5th GRADE ORCHESTRA & CHORUS CONCERT- December 12th, 2019
- 5th Grade Families... please join us on Thursday, December 12th, at 7pm for the Annual 5th Grade Orchestra and Chorus Concert. (Performers should arrive at 6:30.)
- Concert dress: Black or dark pants/skirt/dress, white collared shirt or blouse. Black or black/white dress also ok. Black or dark shoes, no sneakers if possible. Please make similar color substitutions if these colors are not owned.
- Monday, December 9; Navigation Your Child’s IEP For SpEd Families @ Long Lots LMC, 9:30-10:30 am and a second session at 6:30-7:30 pm.
- Monday, December 9; BOE Meeting,7:30 at TOWN HALL.
- Tuesday, December 10; Public Comments on Selection of Westport PS Superintendent, 7:00PM, Staples High School Library
- Thursday, December 12; 5th Grade Orchestra & Chorus Concert; 7PM.
- Friday, December 13; Rise & Read, 7:45am KHS Library
- Monday, December 16; BOE Meeting, 7:30PM at SHS
- Wednesday, December 18; SpEd Sip N Chat 9:30AM
- December 23-January 1; HOLIDAY BREAK, NO SCHOOL
- Thursday, January 2; Back to School!
- Wednesday, January 15; SpEd Sip N Chat
- Friday, January 17; Rise & Read, 7:45am KHS Library
- Monday, January 20; MLK, NO SCHOOL
- Friday, January 31; Ice Skating Party
WE ARE LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS...
- Thanks to Crayola and our Zero Heroes, Kings Highway and Earthplace are going to start recycling all of our dried up markers.
- Have your kids go through your craft piles and pull out all the dead markers (they can be any brand, not just Crayola!) and bring them to their classes for recycling.
- Every time we send a box of dried markers to Crayola, we’ll see how many pounds of plastic Kings Highway and Earthplace divert from the landfill.
WE NEED YEARBOOK PHOTOS!!
- If you have photos of your children at a KHS event, and there is more than one child in the photo, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ON GOING ACTIVITIES…
SPECIAL EDUCATION NEWS
- Wednesday, December 4th, Evening SpEd Sip n Chat; 7:30 Westport Library.
- Join in to connect with other SpEd parents, ask questions and learn about community events and accommodative classes. No need to RSVP.
- Want to receive information about upcoming SpEd related activities and events? Please email email@example.com to be added to our mailing list or to connect with us.
- All upcoming SpEd activities can be found HERE.
- NAVIGATING YOUR CHILD'S IEP - SAVE THE DATE!
- Understanding your child’s IEP can be difficult. This presentation given by WPS administrators will bring you through the document so that you are able to better participate in the Planning and Placement Team meeting.
- Monday, December 9, 2019 at Long Lots LMC. There will be TWO Sessions of this presentation: Session #1 from 9:30–10:30 AM and Session #2 from 6:30 –7:30 PM.
- RSVP to Mary Alvarez at firstname.lastname@example.org and please specify which session you would like to attend.
Tools For Schools (TFS)/Indoor Air Quality (IAQ)
- Did you know…that all schools in the district have a Tools for Schools (TFS) Team made up of at least one administrator, teacher, school nurse, head custodian and parent?
- The TFS teams meet at least twice per year at each school (in the fall and spring) to have a meeting and do a walkthrough of the building to check for any potential Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) issues such as moisture incursion, odors, mold growth, cleanliness issues, evidence of pests, air flow (ventilation) issues, thermal comfort issues, etc.
- The team records the findings on a walkthrough spreadsheet and minutes are taken at each meeting. These documents, which are the running IAQ record for each building, are kept in a TFS binder at each school either in the nurse’s office or administrator’s office together with the TFS kit.
- We completed our fall 2019 meetings and walkthroughs in October. We are now in the process of finalizing all of the meeting minutes and walkthrough spreadsheets for each school.
- If you have any IAQ concerns, please contact a team member at your school. There is a full team member list on the Westport District Website at www.westportps.org. This full list will help you identify the team members at your school. There is also a calendar of TFS/IAQ activities occurring in the district throughout the year. Go to District - Tools for Schools - Information. This site also has information on IAQ Procedures, Green Cleaning/Standard Cleaning Procedures, past Did You Know topics, etc. - By JoAnn Inserra Duncan, Nov 2019
KHS ATTENDANCE LINE: 203-341-1899
- A friendly reminder that when your child is absent, you need to call the attendance line and inform the school. Parents can call 24 hours/day, and in fact the earlier the better (the middle of the night is A-OK!)
- 203-341-1899= KHS ATTENDANCE LINE
ART WITH MR.SOPER
- If you haven’t yet discovered it, Mr. Soper does an amazing job of displaying select pieces of artwork on his Instagram page - seen HERE.
- He also displays artwork in the KHS Art Google Classroom. You’ll find the password in your child’s portfolio. Or email him and he’ll set you up.
- Our kids create some INCREDIBLE art! We want to make sure you have the chance to enjoy it.
BOOKS AS GIFTS
- Books as Gifts (BAG) is a program that helps put new books in the Library Media Center; providing students, teachers and staff with access to the most up-to-date literature. Plus, it's a wonderful way to commemorate a special day!
- Click HERE to get started. Questions? Contact Cristina Roversi, 617-785-6686, email@example.com
SIGN UP FOR AMAZON SMILE
- If you’re like many of us and are already ordering half of your life on Amazon, this is an extremely easy way for you to support the PTA and help raise money for the things we need at KHS.
- Visit http://smile.amazon.com and type PTSA Connecticut Inc Kings Highway PTA in the box where it says “Or pick your own charitable organization.” From that point on, .5% of your purchase will go to the KHS PTA. Those dollars and cents really add up!
- Note that in order to contribute, all purchases must begin at smile.amazon.com.
IN THE COMMUNITY...
RULER IN OUR COMMUNITY
- Is your child looking for an art class? MoCA (The Museum of Contemporary Art Westport) is offering classes beginning the week of December 2nd.
- This winter they will be offering a RULER inspired art class called RULER: Art and Meditation.
- Vision boards, Mandalas, and creative exploration are the name of the game in this class.
- Students will develop their ability to balance personal emotions through the practice of art and introspective study.
- Beginning Yoga poses and meditation practices will be introduced. The benefit of art as a form of self-care will be emphasized.
- Registration is open to grades K-5, please CLICK HERE for more information
CMS BUILDING COMMITTEE (CMSBC) UPDATE
- As a quick background, The CMS Building Committee (CMSBC) was established in early 2019 as a town appointed committee. Their charge is to plan and implement the renovation and improvement of Coleytown Middle School in order to meet the following goals:
- To provide an energy efficient mechanical system to provide heating ventilation and air conditioning to, and control the relative humidity of, interior spaces
- To rehabilitate the exterior building envelope to minimize water incursion and air leakage
- To implement site work outside the building to redirect water away from the building
- To open the building for educational instruction no later than August 2020.
- Please direct your questions to the committee at CMSBC@WESTPORT.CT.GOV.
Town Community Bulletin Board
EASY REFERENCE LINKS TO WESTPORT PTA SITES
- Author Series
- Cultural Arts
- PTA Council
- PTA Community Bulletin Board
- PYD Health and Wellness
- Special Education
Make it a great week!
Your KHS PTA Co-Presidents,
Kim Ceman & Rosie Curtis
All submissions for Cheetah Chat must be received by Friday at 5:00pm.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at the email address above.