January 19, 2020
QUOTE OF THE WEEK…
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
CHEETAH’S CHECKLIST ✅
Purchase your KHS Ice Skating Party tickets HERE! Join us Friday, January 31 from 5:30-7:30pm at the Longshore Ice Rink. Skate rentals are included with the price of your ticket.
Please consider volunteering at the Ice Skating Party. We need help with set up, walk-in registration and extra eyes on the ice to ensure everyone has a fun and safe time! Please Click HERE to review and sign up for an available slot. If you can share 30 minutes of your time it will make a BIG difference. Thank you!
Lost & Found is filling up again! Please stop by and look for your child(ren)’s jackets, water bottles, hats, gloves, sweatshirts and more!
Mark your calendars for our next General PTA Meeting on Friday, January 31, 9:30AM in the cafeteria. More details to follow soon.
No KHS family will be denied the opportunity to participate or acquire any of the above due to an inability to pay. Please contact principal Lou DiBella’s office at (203) 341-1800 for confidential financial assistance.
THIS WEEK AT KHS...
Monday, Jan. 20
Tuesday, Jan. 21
BOE Meeting- Tuesday, January 21
- The next meeting is Tuesday at 7:30pm in Staples High School cafeteria. CLICK HERE for the meeting agenda. Please note that CMSBC will give an update on CMS construction progress and timelines.
- The BOE met last Monday to hear a presentation from the School Start Time Committee. The Committee recommended that all Westport Public Schools delay their school start time by 30 mins; KHS would start at 9:00am and end at 3:45pm. CLICK HERE for an article on WestportNow.
- On Friday, January 10th and Monday, January 13th, the BOE completed the review of the Superintendent proposed budget for 2020-21 school year. Immediate next steps for the administration include following up on the BOE questions and revising the proposed budget.Click HERE for a detailed explanation of how the budget is created and approved.
“One Book, Two Schools” is Here!
- This week, we are launching our 2020 One Book, Two Schools Community Read! Beginning on Tuesday, we will unveil our four clues, one clue on each day of the week. Children will try to figure out the title of this year’s book.
- Friday, we will reveal the title (along with a skit performed by our very own KHS teachers) at our Whole School Meeting! This is sure to be another exciting week at KHS. Keep your eyes open for information, reading calendars, and family activities! Please join us as we come together as a community around another great book.
4th Grade Orchestra & 5th Grade Band Concert- Wednesday, January 22
- 4th Grade Orchestra Concert 6:00pm; students should arrive between 5:30 - 5:45 and report directly to the auditorium for a 6pm start.
- 5th Grade Band Concert 7:15pm; Students should be dropped off in the bus loop at 6:45.
- Dress for the evening show is black pants or skirt, white blouse or collared shirt, black or dark shoes and no sneakers if possible. If the colors are not owned, please make close substitutions.
KHS Ice Skating Party! Friday, January 31
- Join us for the annual KHS Ice Skating Party at the Westport PAL Rink at Longshore on Friday, January 31 from 5:30-7:30pm. Skate rentals are included with the price of the ticket.
- Buy your ticket before Thursday, January 30th and be entered into a drawing for a ride on the Zamboni!!
- Attendees should bring their own bike or ski helmets.
- Please note: This is not a drop off event. Please Contact Emily Epstein, firstname.lastname@example.org, with any questions.
- Purchase tickets HERE (https://khs.
Friday, February 7th- Rise and Read, 7:45AM
February 17th-21st- Winter Break; NO SCHOOL
SAVE THE DATE….
KHS PTA General Meeting- Friday, January 31
- Please join us Friday at 9:30AM in the KHS Cafeteria. We will be voting in our 2020 Nominating Committee, amending By-Laws, and presenting a RULER workshop for parents. Stay tuned for more details. We hope you can join us!
SAVE THE DATE - Feb 4th or Feb 5th - HOW TO RAISE AN ADULT - Parent Event!
The PTA Health, Wellness Advisory Committee & Westport Together are sponsoring a 15 minute TedTalk screening and discussion led by Tracey Masella, LCSW, Silver Hill Hospital. The discussion will be based on the popular New York Times Best Seller: HOW TO RAISE AN ADULT: BREAK FREE OF THE OVERPARENTING TRAP AND PREPARE YOUR KID FOR SUCCESS by Julie Lythcott-Haims, the former dean of freshman at Stanford University, researcher and mom.
MORNING SESSION: Tues., February 4, 9:30-11am, Westport Library, The Forum
EVENING SESSION: Wed., February 5, 7:00-8:30pm, Westport Library, The Forum
FLYER LINK: HOW TO RAISE AN ADULT FLYER
Annual KHS Variety Show- March 26, 2020
This year the KHS Variety Show will support Brady’s Smile, a Connecticut-based 501(c)(3) children's charity. You can read about this organization athttp://bradyssmile.org/.
KHS COMPOST CORNER...
Home Composting That Helps Fund KHS!
- KHS has partnered with Curbside Compost, which also offers a convenient home pickup service (including an air-tight bin that fits under your kitchen sink), and includes all food waste even eggshells, coffee and meat.
- Sign up today as a great New Years Resolution!
- Curbside Compost will donate $32 to fund the school composting program for ANY family who signs up online for Curbside Compost home service. People simply need to write "Kings Highway Elementary School" in the "pickup note" section of the registration page.
- Go to Food Scrap Recycling and Compost Delivery serving Fairfield County, CT and Westchester County, NY to register today.
Less Lunch Leftovers by Ram
- Please remind your children to buy only what they know they will eat. You can always go back into the kitchen to get more food if you are still hungry.
- The Zero Heroes have found that students throw unopened food (specifically muffins) in the garbage or the composting bin. There are people around the world who barely have enough food and we are fortunate enough to have plenty, but we don’t want to waste it. Students also dump a lot of leftover drinks in the liquid bin.
- “Nearly 1 billion people in the developing world walk on average 3.5 miles to get water to drink.” (Fact from CNN) Seltzer or milk may not even be choices for many. Kids should think about this before they waste drinks. You can help support our efforts by talking to your children about ordering only what they think they will eat. The kitchen door stays open for a good part of lunch, so they can always buy more if they are still hungry.
- Thanks to Crayola and our Zero Heroes, Kings Highway and Earthplace are going to start recycling all of our dried up markers.
- Have your kids go through your craft piles and pull out all the dead markers (they can be any brand, not just Crayola!) and bring them to their classes for recycling.
WE NEED YOUR HELP...
Ice Skating Party Volunteers Needed
- The KHS Ice Skating Party is coming up Friday, 1/31, and we need your help. We need help with set up, walk-in registration and extra eyes on the ice to ensure everyone has a fun and safe time!
- Please Click HERE to review and sign up for an available slot. If you can share 30 minutes of your time it will make a BIG difference. Thank you!
We Need Yearbook Photos
If you have photos of your children at a KHS event, and there is more than one child in the photo, please send to email@example.com.
ON GOING ACTIVITIES…
Special Education News
- Meet, ask questions, and exchange ideas and tips with other Special Ed parents. Open to all parents of students receiving Special Education services in Westport schools. Next month’s meeting is Wednesday, February 12th, 9:30-10:30am, at Westport Library. An evening meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, February 26th at 7:30pm. No need to RSVP.
- Please see the link below for our list of SpEd related activities and events: https://docs.google.
com/document/d/ 11K8sn9BzRzwiJ7jZxHRLD68WriLYP eSmZ7tBD1Fse50/edit
CMS Building Committee (CMSBC) UPDATE
Curious how the CMS renovation is moving along? Click HERE for the most recent update from Don O’Day. April 15th is the official “go/no go” decision date as to whether CMS will open August 2020. Stay tuned!
Art with Mr.Soper
- If you haven’t yet discovered it, Mr. Soper does an amazing job of displaying select pieces of artwork on his Instagram page - seen HERE.
- He also displays artwork in the KHS Art Google Classroom. You’ll find the password in your child’s portfolio. Or email him and he’ll set you up.
- Our kids create some INCREDIBLE art! We want to make sure you have the chance to enjoy it.
Books as Gifts
- Books as Gifts (BAG) is a program that helps put new books in the Library Media Center; providing students, teachers and staff with access to the most up-to-date literature. Plus, it's a wonderful way to commemorate a special day!
- Click HERE to get started. Questions? Contact Cristina Roversi, 617-785-6686, firstname.lastname@example.org
IN THE COMMUNITY...
TEAM Westport - Diversity and Inclusivity in the Westport Schools
- 7-8:30 p.m. Feb. 11, 2020; Westport Public Library - Room 210
- Please join us for a conversation facilitated by members of TEAM Westport to discuss thoughts and ideas regarding practices of diversity and inclusivity in our Westport schools.
Westport Continuing Education: After School Programs start soon!
- WCE provides dozens of options for safe and convenient after school programs at every elementary school in Westport. Click here for a handy list of classes by school and day of the week!
- Registration is open now at www.westportcontinuinged.
Wakeman Town Farm January 20th Vacation Day Camp
- Grades K-5, 9:00 to 1:00
- Join us on the Farm for a Vacation Day Camp full of fun nature-based activities and cooking pizzas in our outdoor oven! In honor of MLK Jr. Day, we are planning a "change the world through leadership" theme with a focus on what we can do to help the environment as well as creating a "pathway to change." For more info and to register, click here.
Wakeman Town Farm February Vacation Camp
- Grades 1-5, 9:00 to 1:00
- Join us on the Farm for a Vacation Camp celebration! Register for one day or the whole week. We will spend time visiting our animals, cooking delicious farm-fresh foods, creating a variety of nature-based crafts, and learning about seed saving. For more info and to register, click here.
Town Community Bulletin Board
EASY REFERENCE LINKS TO WESTPORT PTA SITES
Make it a great week!
Your KHS PTA Co-Presidents,
Kim Ceman & Rosie Curtis
All submissions for Cheetah Chat must be received by Friday at 5:00pm.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at the email address above.