May 25, 2020
Quote Of The Week
"A hero is someone who understands the responsibility that comes with his freedom."– Bob Dylan
Happy Memorial Day Weekend! As a reminder, this is a short 3 day school week, with no school on Friday, May 29. The last day of school remains Friday, June 12, 2020. As always... stay safe, stay apart, and share a smile!
WPS DISTRICT NEWS...
BOE Summary From Last Week:
- CMS: The CMS Building Committee is projecting that the building will be ready to receive students and staff in mid-October. The Board of Education has authorized the Administration to proceed with the hiring of the educators we need to open a second middle school. While our plans must be nimble, the need to get our eighth school building back online is more urgent than ever due to the pandemic.
- Reopening Plans: Dr. Abbey has established a Reopening of Schools Steering Committee, which is being co-chaired by Mr. John Bayers, Director of Human Resources and General Administration and Dr. Anthony Buono, Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning. This Committee is already at work planning for a variety of scenarios, evaluating what are the best health and safety protocols for our schools, ensuring continuity of education when schools reopen, and improving distance learning in the event it must continue or resume in the future.
- Survey: Our administration is preparing a survey for students, staff and parents to gather feedback on our distance learning program. Our hope is that this survey will provide us with valuable information that we can use to shape the future of distance learning in our district, so please watch for the survey and respond.
- The DRAFT 2021-2022 WPS School Calendar is available - click HERE.
- If you have any comments or suggestions, please send your emails to the BOE at email@example.com and Anthony Buono, Assistant Superintendent at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- They will be finalizing the calendar in the next few weeks and are very open to hearing from the parent community. Make your voices heard!
UPCOMING KHS EVENTS...
Last KHS PTA Meeting- Tuesday, June 4, 2020 with Special Guest Speakers!
- Please join us via Zoom on Tuesday, June 4 at 11 am for our last PTA Meeting. (Dial in details coming next week.)
- We will be voting on our slate of officers for next year and Lou DiBella, Kaila Anderson, and Catherine Carmona will attend to speak about our distance learning experiences and to address strategies to mitigate the summer slide. In addition, Kaila will address social emotional questions you have about this social distancing experience and ways to talk to your children about COVID-19.
- Click HERE to view the proposed slate for next year.
Shop School Kits For 2020-2021!
- Believe it or not, it's time to think about next year!! Skip the stress and hassle of going to the store and order your child’s school supplies in a pre-packaged kit. Please order by June 12!
- Click HERE for more details.
- To order:
- Go to www.shopttkits.com
- Use Account #83433
- Order by June 12!
A Message From Our Dear School Nurse!
- A friendly reminder to wear your face mask.
IN THE COMMUNITY
- Have you heard about Westport Rocks? You are invited to paint a rock and leave it for a friend, family member or stranger to find. After you paint a rock (or if you find a rock), send in a photo to share on Instagram and the website.
- If you are in need of any supplies, email email@example.com - there is extra paint and varnish and they will happily arrange a contactless pick up!
- For more information CLICK HERE to visit the website, follow @westportrocks on Instagram or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Managing Emotions in the Face of the Pandemic: Tips for Parents and Families
- Through WPS partnership with Cognitive Behavioral Consultants (CBC) of Westchester and NYC, WPS is offering a webinar to provide evidence-based mental health support, Tuesday May 26, 2020 01:00-2:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada).
- The zoom webinar will be held with Dr. Kelly Graling, Assistant Clinical Director at CBC. During this session, Dr. Graling will provide parents and families with strategies on how to skillfully manage emotions and behaviors to cope during the pandemic. She will focus on concrete strategies to strike a balance between our home/work lives, increase student engagement, and practice both acceptance and validation.
- This webinar will be relevant for parents with students in all grade levels. We hope you can join us.If you are interested, please register in advance for this learning session using the link below.
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
- Check out Westport Together to sign up for a variety of upcoming webinars.
Stay safe, healthy, and AT HOME!
Your KHS PTA Co-Presidents,
Kim Ceman & Rosie Curtis
All submissions for Cheetah Chat must be received by Friday at 5:00pm.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at the email address above.