November 10, 2019
We hope you all have had a wonderful November weekend. This CC seems to be one of the longest we have written all year. There is a lot happening in the next 2 weeks with the kick off of our annual Coat drive and holiday fundraisers, submission of Cheetahs Care pledge money this week, KHS Yearbook cover contest, Parent/Teacher Conferences, the upcoming Cultural Arts performance along with Thanksgiving Break! Not to mention this week's BOE meeting and the beginning of the WPS Superintendent search.
Looking ahead, we will be hosting our 2nd General PTA Meeting Tuesday, December 3, 2019 at 7:00PM at the Westport Library. Many families requested that we hold a meeting in the evening, so we are going to see how this works. Children are ALWAYS welcome and we hope the library will be an easy place for them to feel comfortable and maybe do some homework! We will have a presentation from The School Start Time Committee as well as from the Westport Library highlighting all the resources available to us. More details to come but please mark your calendars now and plan to join us.
Lastly, tomorrow is Veterans Day. We will be providing poppy stickers for each child as a symbol of remembrance. Veterans Day is celebrated on November 11 because the Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, when the Armistice with Germany went into effect. At the urging of major U.S. veteran organizations, Armistice Day was renamed Veterans Day in 1954. We appreciate the service of all U.S. military veterans and look forward to honoring them tomorrow.
QUOTE OF THE WEEK…
"In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson."- Tom Bodett
THANK YOU TO OUR MANY KHS VOLUNTEERS
- Thank you to Tricia Lau Lewis and Cristina Roversi for the hours they put into working the 5th grade bake sale and to all the parents who baked and volunteered! Thank you to Cristiane Palaia who came at 5:30am and made our stand the most patriotic one in Westport! Special thanks to Ethan and Ava Lewis who set up the bake sale at 5:30 with their mom and worked it for most of the day. Special thanks to Karim Kassim-Lakha for being an excellent salesman and pulling people into the bake sale. Despite low voter turnout, we made over $1200 for 5th Grade Moving Up.
- Cheetahs Care Day was one of the best yet - Thank you to Lindsay Shurman and Alexis Lawton for organizing the day. There were countless laps around the track and pages read! A big thank you to all volunteers, teachers and students who made the day an amazing success! Now it’s time to ‘collect’! Parents, please remember to send in children with pledge sheets and money THIS week as we need to provide Human Services with gift cards for those in need just after Thanksgiving! With your support KHS will provide a happier holiday to literally thousands of Westporters in need!
- Thank you to Ronnie Klein and Meena Pellerin for organizing the KHS-Westport Police Holiday Food Drive. Officer John Margnelli came by Friday to collect the donations and was very appreciative to all of our families who donated food.
- Special shout out to Jess Brookbanks and Jenny Townsend for creating amazing hallway bulletin boards. The November Turkey with birthdays listed on all the feathers is adorable and festive. Thank you for sharing your creativity with all of us!
- Thank you to Lindsay Shurman and Jill Dillon for organizing the Candy Collection for our Troops program. There was SOOO much candy, they had to scramble and find several more boxes. Thank you to Patra Kanchanagom for helping transfer the candy with Jill Dillon. It took a lot of muscle power to move all the candy boxes.
- Thank you to Jenny McGuinnness for being the inspiration behind our Veterans Day celebration/remembrance.
CHEETAH’S CHECKLIST ✅
- Please submit funds raised for Cheetahs Care Read & Walk a Thon by Thursday, November 14th to student’s homeroom teacher. Checks payable to KHS PTA.
- KHS Yearbook Cover Contest entries due Tuesday, November 26th.
- Order your 2019-2020 Yearbook HERE. Password: khs19
- Submit YEARBOOK PHOTOS!! If you have photos of your children at a KHS event, and there is more than one child in the photo, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org. Pumpkin Palooza & Kindergarten Halloween Parade photos wanted!
- Check out LOST & FOUND! Any items not retrieved before Thanksgiving Break will be donated.
No KHS family will be denied the opportunity to participate or acquire any of the above due to an inability to pay. Please contact principal Lou DiBella’s office at (203) 341-1800 for confidential financial assistance.
A LOOK AHEAD AT KHS...
BOE MEETING- Monday, November 11
- The BOE meeting is Monday, November 11th at Staples High School at 7:30pm. CLICK HERE for the meeting agenda.
- Topics to be reviewed or discussed include:
- Superintendent Search
- Enrollment Projections: Milone and MacBroom
- Development and Assignment of Redistricting Questions
- As always, you can send your questions, comments and concerns to:
- Board of Education: BOE@westportps.org
- Interim Superintendent David Abbey: email@example.com
- Board of Selectman: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Board of Finance: email@example.com
- Representative Town Meeting (RTM): firstname.lastname@example.org
ANNUAL KHS COAT DRIVE IS ON FOR 2 WEEKS!
- It’s That Giving Time Of Year. The annual KHS Coat Drive is up and running!
- There are boxes placed at the front door - let’s fill them up with coats, jackets, snow pants and fleece over the next TWO weeks so we can provide families at Read Elementary in Bridgeport some extra warmth this season!
- Kindness rules at KHS!
CHEETAHS CARE DAY FOLLOW UP
- Cheetahs Care Day was a great success and now it is time to submit all funds by Thursday, Nov 14th. Thank you all in advance!
- Please make checks payable to KHS PTA or send cash in sealed envelope to student’s homeroom teacher.
- As a reminder, Cheetahs Care works directly with the Town of Westport’s Department of Human Services to deliver thousands of dollars in gift cards to local families in need each season.
- The Cheetahs Care program participated in a:
- ‘Walk-a-Thon’ for Grades K-3
- ‘Read-a-Thon’ for Grades 4-5
- Order killer holiday gifts and cards from these three choice companies and support our PTA (and thereby every student and staff member at our amazing school).
- Boon Supply – Shop for chic teacher gifts, hostess gifts, bestie gifts and more at https://www.boonsupply.com/collections/605812-khs-pta-holiday-fundraiser and Boon will donate 40% of your purchase back to our PTA.
- Minted.com - Use code FUNDRAISEKINGSHWY to get 15% off all holiday card and gift purchases made throughout the month of November and Minted will donate 15% of your purchase to our PTA.
- Pinhole Press – Shop at https://pinholepress.com?fc=KHSPTA or enter code KHSPTA at checkout. Pinhole Press will donate 50% of all holiday card purchases made in November, and 25% on all holiday gifts purchased from 12/1-12/7 to our PTA.
PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCES & SNACK DONATIONS- November 20-22, 2019
- It's almost conference time, when the teachers get just a few minutes to grab a quick bite between the end of the school day and the beginning of their conference blocks. Please help us make it easy for them to keep their energy up by bringing something yummy to fill the snack tables in the Teachers’ Lounge!
- Please Sign up to bring a snack HERE.
- Friendly reminder that the school day ends at 1:00 on early release days. After-school activities will not run during these shortened days unless specially arranged by the teacher.
- Dismissal changes on early release days must be entered in School Dismissal Manager by 11:30 a.m.
KHS YEARBOOK COVER CONTEST
- The contest is open to all students. We are open to all types of covers but keep in mind the KHS theme. Some examples to get your mind going: Cheetahs, Kindness, what KHS means to you, the KHS building, etc.
- Submit entries on an 8.5 x 11 piece of white copy paper or card stock. Covers can be in pen or marker. Please write your name and grade in pencil on the back.
- Entries must be submitted to the basket in the front office by Tuesday, November 26.
- Please email email@example.com with any questions.
- Dont Forget to order your yearbook too! Order your 2019-2020 Yearbook HERE. Password: khs19
SUBMIT YEARBOOK PHOTOS
- If you have photos of your children at a KHS event, and there is more than one child in the photo, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CULTURAL ARTS PERFORMANCE- Friday, November 22, 2019
- The PTA Cultural Arts is excited to confirm its fall performance, Hip Hop Dimensions, on Friday, November 22nd, with performances at 9am (grades k-2) and 10:15am (grade 3-5). Parents are invited to attend.
- Your support in making this event possible is greatly appreciated.
- Any questions, please contact Monica Mancusi Ungaro, Monicamu4@gmail.com and Catrina Hegarty, email@example.com.
- Wednesday, November 20th; Parent Conferences; Half Day of School
- Wednesday, November 20th; SpEd Sip ’n Chat
- Thursday, November 21st; Parent Conferences; Half Day of School
- Friday, November 22nd; Parent Conferences; Half Day of School
- Friday, November 22nd; Cultural Arts Performance
- Monday, November 25; Dr. Joseph Erardi, the search consultant working with the Westport Board of Education, will be facilitating one-hour meetings dedicated to gathering community input for the superintendent’s hiring committee. 7 pm
- Wednesday, November 27-29; Thanksgiving Recess/ No School
- Tuesday, December 3; KHS PTA General Meeting at WEstport Library, 7PM.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS...
PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCE SNACK DONATIONS NEEDED
- Please help us make it easy for our teachers to keep their energy up by bringing something yummy to fill the snack tables in the Teachers’ Lounge! It doesn't matter if it's homemade or store bought as long as we keep the tables full those three days.
- Please take your snacks/drinks straight to the Teachers' Lounge at 12:30 on your designated day (11/20, 11/21 or 11/22). If you are leaving a platter/dish/bowl, you can pick it up later that same day or the following day.
- Please Sign up to bring a snack HERE.
- Thanks to Crayola and our Zero Heroes, Kings Highway and Earthplace are going to start recycling all of our dried up markers.
- Have your kids go through your craft piles and pull out all the dead markers (they can be any brand, not just Crayola!) and bring them to their classes for recycling.
- Every time we send a box of dried markers to Crayola, we’ll see how many pounds of plastic Kings Highway and Earthplace divert from the landfill.
WE NEED YEARBOOK PHOTOS!!
- If you have photos of your children at a KHS event, and there is more than one child in the photo, please send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pumpkin Palooza and Kindergarten Halloween Parade photos wanted!
ON GOING ACTIVITIES…
SPECIAL EDUCATION NEWS
- Please see the link below for all our SpEd Activities & Events:
- NEW Link for parents of students that receive special education:
ART WITH MR.SOPER
- If you haven’t yet discovered it, Mr. Soper does an amazing job of displaying select pieces of artwork on his Instagram page - seen HERE.
- He also displays artwork in the KHS Art Google Classroom. You’ll find the password in your child’s portfolio. Or email him and he’ll set you up.
- Our kids create some INCREDIBLE art! We want to make sure you have the chance to enjoy it.
BOOKS AS GIFTS
- Books as Gifts (BAG) is a program that helps put new books in the Library Media Center; providing students, teachers and staff with access to the most up-to-date literature. Plus, it's a wonderful way to commemorate a special day!
- Click HERE to get started. Questions? Contact Cristina Roversi, 617-785-6686, email@example.com
SIGN UP FOR AMAZON SMILE
- If you’re like many of us and are already ordering half of your life on Amazon, this is an extremely easy way for you to support the PTA and help raise money for the things we need at KHS.
- Visit http://smile.amazon.comand type PTSA Connecticut Inc Kings Highway PTA in the box where it says “Or pick your own charitable organization.” From that point on, .5% of your purchase will go to the KHS PTA. Those dollars and cents really add up!
- Note that in order to contribute, all purchases must begin at smile.amazon.com.
IN THE COMMUNITY...
CMS BUILDING COMMITTEE (CMSBC) UPDATE
- As a quick background, The CMS Building Committee (CMSBC) was established in early 2019 as a town appointed committee. Their charge is to plan and implement the renovation and improvement of Coleytown Middle School in order to meet the following goals:
- To provide an energy efficient mechanical system to provide heating ventilation and air conditioning to, and control the relative humidity of, interior spaces
- To rehabilitate the exterior building envelope to minimize water incursion and air leakage
- To implement site work outside the building to redirect water away from the building
- To open the building for educational instruction no later than August 2020.
- Here is the most recent comments from Don O’Day, Chair:
- There is no public meeting this evening (11/6). The next public CMSBC meeting will be posted on the Westport town website and through this forum.
- Let’s cut to the chase - there continues to be concern, and even some worry, that hammers and wrecking balls are not yet swinging at CMS.
- Notwithstanding my almost weekly posts on this site, as well as public meetings that are usually televised, it seems that many people believe we are way behind. Folks are asking how we will be able to open CMS in August if the building is in the same condition that it was when it was closed in September of 2018.
- I get it. I’m focused on CMS every day and I regularly get anxious - but all of us on the committee remain vigilant and on task.
- So, to be clear - WE ARE STILL ON SCHEDULE TO OPEN CMS - SAFELY, AND CONSISTENT WITH OUR CHARGE - FOR THE START OF THE 2020 - 2021 SCHOOL YEAR.
- So why aren’t hammers swinging? Because that has always been the plan. Throughout the appropriation approval process our construction schedule called for targeted demolition to begin in mid to late December and we are still on track.
- What have we been doing lately?
- We have completed and approved all of the construction documents, and our Construction Manager (Newfield Construction) went out to bid for all of the work associated with fixing and improving CMS. On Monday of this week there was VERY strong contractor turnout at the school for firms interested in bidding on the many CMS jobs. The contractors examined the building and will begin putting together their bids which are currently due by 11/21. If their bids meet the “lowest qualified bidder” requirement they will be awarded the job and they can begin work in a scheduled and orderly manner following CMSBC approval.
- What else? We have ordered HVAC equipment which has a long lead time and is critical to safely opening CMS. That equipment is now being manufactured
- Everything that needs to be happening is happening.
- Finally, to be more transparent, the approved Committee Meeting Minutes which - my bad - haven’t been approved and posted since 9/11 are in process of being posted to the CMSBC section on the the town’s website.
- Hope this is helpful. As always, please direct your questions to the me and the committee at CMSBC@WESTPORT.CT.GOV. Looking forward to hearing from you. - Don
Superintendent Search - Community Conversation
- “Your Voice Matters – Selecting the Westport Superintendent of Schools." The Westport Board of Education will be hosting two evening opportunities for community members to share their insight on the hiring of the next Superintendent of Schools.
- Dr. Joseph Erardi, the search consultant working with the Westport Board of Education, will be facilitating one-hour meetings dedicated to gathering community input for the superintendent’s hiring committee.
- Monday, November 25
- Tuesday, December 10
- The November 25 and December 10 meetings will start at 7:00 p.m. and they will be held in the library at Staples High School.
- Any resident needing additional information on the community conversation should contact Dr. Erardi at 571-480-0313.
- The district has rescheduled the interactive presentation for parents about RULER for Tuesday, November 12th at 7pm in the Staples High School Cafeteria.
- RULER is an evidence-based approach to social and emotional learning, developed by the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence. This workshop will provide a general overview for parents who may be new to RULER or who may be interested in a refresher.
- Future workshops will focus on more specific RULER tools, such as the Mood Meter and Metamoment.
- Staples Players presents Mamma Mia, a hilarious tale of love and friendship told through ABBA’s timeless hits.
- Performances are:
- November 15, 16, 22 & 23 at 7:30 pm
- November 21 at 7 pm
- November 17 & 23 at 3 pm.
- Buy your tickets online at staplesplayers.com—or at the door 30 minutes prior to performances, as available.
Bye Bye Birdie Tickets On Sale MONDAY!
- What makes Conrad Birdie so cool and why is he giving Kim one last kiss? CLICK HERE to buy your tickets to find out! Performances will be held on Friday, November 22nd at 7:30pm, Saturday, November 23rd at 2:00pm and 7:30pm and Sunday, November 24th at 2:00pm.
- Also, join us for our 1950s Sock Hop/Ice Cream Social fundraiser on Saturday, November 23rd at 12:30pm (right before the Saturday matinee). Ice cream, dancing, free funky socks and lots of other fun! $20 at the door, $15 when you purchase a matinee show ticket. Proceeds to benefit The Tisdale School in Bridgeport.
WESTPORT PUBLIC SCHOOLS INNOVATION FUND 2019-2020 APPLICATION NOW AVAILABLE
- The Westport Public Schools is looking for innovative, passionate, creative thinkers who are Westport Public School students, staff, or Westport community members who have projects or innovative ideas that would not normally be considered part of our typical educational offerings that they would like to see brought to life. The District would like to invite those interested to apply for an Innovation Fund Grant. The first round of grant applications will be reviewed on November 1, 2019.
- Apply today! Visit our website https://www.westportps.org/district/innovation-fund for descriptions of previous winning proposals.
Town Community Bulletin Board
EASY REFERENCE LINKS TO WESTPORT PTA SITES
- Author Series
- Cultural Arts
- PTA Council
- PTA Community Bulletin Board
- PYD Health and Wellness
- Special Education
Make it a great week!
Your KHS PTA Co-Presidents,
Kim Ceman & Rosie Curtis
All submissions for Cheetah Chat must be received by Friday at 5:00pm.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at the email address above.
Westport Public Schools would like to continue connecting with you via email. If you prefer to be removed from our list, please contact Westport Public Schools directly. To stop receiving all email messages distributed through our SchoolMessenger service, follow this link and confirm: Unsubscribe
SchoolMessenger is a notification service used by the nation's leading school systems to connect with parents, students and staff through voice, SMS text, email, and social media.